2007-07-18

major blackout

And it happened again. Whole quarter was left without power for 1 hour or more. Office was left without power too. Quite a coincidence, that I just made my cup of coffee (ok, coffee machine made it, but still) and it went off. Almost at lunch time. probably, not that bad if it happens during work hours, but fore example, if you go to eat somewhere near, where the meal is made in electric oven, then it's not very pleasant experience.
Imagine an office where everything is powered by electricity: you can't make coffee, you can't warm your food in microwave and you even can't use your computer! Besides that, electronic dart board is not working. Only primitive forms of entertainment (what kind of work would be possible?) are available, like cards, table soccer and chess. Well, chess is not very primitive and I don't mind playing it. Of course, I mind loosing. On the other hand: I got like 10 minutes, at the end of those, I start doing mistakes, then my time is over and I am still playing, but the situation is ruined - it's not very interesting to keep playing it, the options that are left - some sacrifices hoping the opponent is not skillful enough. But as I play first time and I don't know that, it's quite risky to perform such actions (it would be better to call them "attempt to deceive"). Probably, I'll have to start thinking few more steps further.
And in this post you observed, how a topic was changed from power blackout to chess tactics.

No comments: