2007-07-07

Killing a time

It's been raining from the morning. The rain drops have been nervously touching the surface of window's glass. Sometimes harder, sometimes weaker. It's good not to sit in a boat in a middle of lake and keep rowing it. The water below, the water above. On the other hand, it's sad that weather conditions can ruin the weekend so easily. But what's ruined, that's ruined. Nothing can be helped, but just another headache how to spend a weekend meaningfully. Outside activity is not an option. And the options left are not so much:
- movies
- books
- games

At 9 o'clock pm I ran out of movies (to be more concrete: series of Criminal Minds), there really has to be a movie to fit the mood of this weather, are there? At least I have joost as last option.
I ran out of book supply too. Not today. Few weeks ago. There is one book I could read, but I can't force myself with that. I can't force myself to read this book already 2 years. I call it "preparing myself" for this book. And e-books is not an option. It's not cool to read a book from computer - how comfortable my laptop were, it just doesn't resemble the shape of book.
If you think that I left games as the last option on purpose and gonna tell how I spent my weekend gaming - well, that's not gonna happen. I quit gaming (should sound like "I quit smoking", if it doesn't try to imagine:) ). Yes, it was my sin and a waste of my time. And I quit gaming not today (for comparison to "I quit smoking 3 hours ago").
Some probably can't imagine how you can spend hours running in virtual world and doing quests there or other stuff. Some can't even imagine playing counter-strike-like or quake-like games on lan (but it's really a good way to get rid of stress). And they even can't imagine killing time with minesweeper or solitaire (and I should mention there, that this is really a bad way to kill time, even worse, than to waste it with mmorpg or first-person-shooter). And for those, who can't imagine all this, it's meaningless to explain what benefits do you get by playing this stuff. Is it fun? Yes. Does it involve? It certainly does. And if you will ask, what do get there, there might be millions answers to it. One of them is, you can become what you'll never be in real world. A gnome or an elf or even a skeleton (ok, you may argue with this part, but I can assure, you won't remember anything from the experience of becoming a skeleton). In the other words, it employs your imagination and lets you experience the feeling of discovering fantasy worlds.
And it's not that bad thing if you don't abuse it. If you manage to keep social relationships, responsibilities at family and at work and keep up with your studies. You may ask, is it hard to combine all this stuff. It's yes and it's not. I have seen the lives of course mates drowning in this gaming activity and I've seen who managed to combine all this, or maybe the ones who are near to them managed to do this.
The morale of this story is: gaming is a bad way to waste your time, but at least it keeps your lungs healthy:)

No comments: