2007-07-03

Adventures at new work place

Besides that fear, confuse and guilt I'm experiencing past few weeks, there are some interesting things too.
I almost overslept first day of work, but it seems that there are no strict rules for show up time - just to be before 10 a.m. That's manageable.
First day was a usual "sign-lots-of-papers" day. Besides that I was introduced to my working place. Half of company is on holidays, so it's pretty empty there, but still at least twice as more as in old place. I was assigned to room number 9, which is actually my "temporal" place. Someone told that "temporal" could take about 3-4 months. Humph, interesting scale of time. As much as I have seen all rooms are filled with 3-5 people which are grouped by a none-knows-how logic.
I was disappointed to get a crt monitor (poor fate of newcomer) - it's been more than year I have not used that one that much. That was the basic reason why I felt so tired during work and after work. Well, what can I do - I have bad eyes and these are getting worse every year. I can only hope, that when I get old, there will be at least some of my vision left - otherwise the old age without a computer would be a very uninteresting period of life.
Despite the monitor fact, the computer seemed quite ok - 2GB of rams, Pentium 4 3,4 GHz processor - even better than at home, but still it can't stand against my dual-monitor system. Dual-monitor is even better than dual-core processor because it enables Your brain (and other parts of body) to work parallel.
The kitchen space was quite advanced, besides the goodies we had in the old place: refrigerator, microwave, simple coffee machine, cold-hot water dispenser and a small tea-coffee shell, you can find there also a dish-machine, a big coffee-machine (which makes pretty tasteful coffee), electronic dart board, table-soccer game, chess and card games. They have an interesting concept of shared-stuff. The shared stuff covers cups and tea-coffee. If You don't want to share, then the tea and coffee has to be put to special shell (as for the cups, it's safest to keep them in a drawer), everything else is shared and none can make any complaints if someone else takes it. This policy seems ok to me, except the fact, I didn't get any bookcase or something with drawers in case I wanted to keep my stuff and cup there.
As regarding my work duties, I had a plan prepared what I will have to do first 2 weeks (as my pm is on holiday). At the moment nothing interesting - only lots-of-reading-and-installing-stuff.
What I miss mostly now is communication and view from the window.

No comments: