2015-11-01

Autumn in Raudonė

 We don't have Halloween tradition in Lithuania. Young people could argue, but all the parties they have on the 31th of October is no ancient history, it's been brought to us by television and emigrants. What we do have is All Saints day. I couldn't say that it is celebrated in Lithuania, but we do have traditions regarding this day. The tradition is to visit cemetery and take care of the graves of those who have left, to light up the candle. In deed in the evening of this day Lithuanian cemeteries become the seas of the candles. Spooky but heart-warming at the same time.
Coincidence but at the same time all the trees light up as candles as well. Red, orange, but mostly in yellow and they slowly fade into the brown. At this time of year I like to drive the car and observe all this magical beauty. And if I have to go to my parent's home I choose a road with a good scenery - it is slower, but way more beautiful than a highway. It's the same road I rode with  bicycle this summer. There are few castles along this road and I didn't visit Raudonė during my bike trip. It's not that I was intending to fix this from the beginning. When I saw whole hill covered in yellow leaves I just could not help, but stop there. Like a hill covered with gold. I wonder how it would look like if the leaves were all red.





No comments: