2015-11-08

Sounds of Riga

This is definitely the best title describing today. But first things first.
I woke up with a hungry stomach, slight headache and strange feeling in my abdominal muscle. The last one can be explained by a workout for abs I did yesterday. First two didn't have a reason, but could be easily fixed(and that can't be said about the third sensation).
The girl at the reception pointed me at the direction of pancakes when asked about breakfast place. Looking at the map, it seemed that I would have to do some leg work before my meal. But maps are deceiving, and I was at the food place in no time. Self-serviced I ate almost three pancakes, reasonably priced. You can find it around Škúnu street.
In November on weekend 10am Riga's old town is quite deserted. But that's just a perfect. Especially if you find a cello player next to Riga's Dome. He was playing there for at least few hours in a cold weather - respectful. I couldn't last for five minutes without my gloves. At 12pm there was a short organ concert at the Dome. Powerful, scary and that kind of organ music can be, but I liked the middle peace - the waltz. It was so unexpected to hear it being played with organ, and yet the sound seemed transparent, fragile and nothing scary at all.
You can find a lot of museums in Old Town with great exhibitions, but to fully enjoy them - one needs a lot of time - to read through descriptions. But mostly tourists are wasting their money by running through all the things in display. On the other hand there are not many people who can handle so much information at a short period of time.
At the foot of Bastejkalns I found a saxophone player. The hill was covered with maple leaves in perfect shade of yellow - it looked like a hill of gold. I found my cup of cocoa there too. I was going back and forth in the narrow streets of Old Riga, sometimes looking up at the sky, at the rooftops - it was cold, the wind from the Daugavas river was freezing - the wind proof jacket was helping, but my jeans - not. Finding a place where to sneak in - was it a bar, a shop or a gallery - that's how I can describe my walking around. But the old town is small. Cozy, beautiful, but small - you just end up on the same streets over and over again.
The final piece of music was Krishna chanting. All day I was hearing different solo instruments - and finally, an "orchestra" of human voices and drums.
It was getting dark, I was getting hungry - I headed toward my home - hostel. Suddenly there was a loud noise coming from the sky. The screams of crows Were chaotically filling the space between the rooftops. I looked up. The view was like from A.Hitchcocks movie "The birds" or second part of "Night Guard". One could barely call it music, but it definitely was a part of today's soundtrack.


No comments: