2014-12-24

Waiting for breakfast in Rome (part 4)

Usual morning in Rome - waiting for my breakfast though it's already past 8. That doesn't make me angry anymore - there's nowhere to hurry. In weather forecast - today is a rainy day, no sunshine at all - weather has been bad yesterday too, but I didn't see it raining - maybe it will stay a promise only.
I came home(hotel) later than usual and went straight to bed. Felt exhausted after lots of ... walking(who could have guessed that?) and a late ballet performance at the Opera House of Rome. I went to see a Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker. I liked the venue, the music, costumes and some parts in ballet, but some parts I didn't get - probably I had a different version of nutcracker's story in my head. Also, at some moments there was too hot inside and hard to breath - probably it should, there were 1600 people breathing same air.
Sometimes it's so crowded in line A of Rome metro, that even if you manage to get in, it's hard to get out on the right stop. That's what happened to me yesterday's morning. But one can have that kind of adventures once in a while. I had few goals for the day on my mind, but wasn't in a hurry.
Buying a ticket to ballet and hoping to get a seat for the same day. Accomplished. Then near Republica stop a church of Santa Maria degli Angeli e Martyri  caught my eye - built in a place of former Diocleziano baths. A really beautiful masterpiece designed by Michelangelo.
Other goal for my day was to visit Capitolium museums - I should have been ashamed not doing it sooner. On my way from Circus Maximus metro stop I passed through some beautiful views - Teatro di Marcello, then the staircase view to the Capitolium. Though the museum contains many historical treasures, the one I enjoyed most - was the view to the Roman Forum. By that time I realized I was starving, not wanting to repeat my former mistakes by buying food from food carts near sightseeing locations (because it's overpriced and not worth the price you pay, and probably not as delicious as it could be). With the help of tripadvisor application, I had a goal - La Prosciutteria - a cosy sandwich, meat and cheese platter place. But having goal is one thing, and reaching it - is another. It didn't seem very far away, about a kilometer or so. But when you are not local, the distance multiplies few times. It doesn't matter how many more kilometers I had to cover - the taste was worth it - simple, but fresh and delicious. The sandwich was so big, I managed to eat only half of it(other half I kept for my supper) and it costed only 5 euros. Everything from ham to cheese was cut in front of my eyes. With a little bit extra energy - I decided to visit Pantheon(oh my, I didn't choose the shortest path, on the opposite), but found the gardens of Quirinalis on my way and rested a bit in a shade of exotic plants. Pantheon is really a great piece of art and engineering, and it doesn't have lines you have to wait in. Unfortunately, my camera doesn't cover such a wide angle to take a picture of it all.
And the rest of the story of the day you already know. Having written this I'm still waiting for my breakfast.

No comments: