2014-12-27

Home cold home

Well... scary 3 AM walk to Termini station wasn't so scary. The loudest sound was from my bag wheels. I probably woke up some homeless people. As it turned out, Termini station was closed. A taxi driver helped me to figure out where the terravision stop was. There I met another traveler(as it turned out to be lithuanian). Seeing me her eyes brightened with joy - she was smoking and was feeling cold. As we switched from English to Lithuanian, she told she was waiting there from 11pm. The fact that Termini station was closed for night she learned only when she was kicked out at 12pm. I was glad I didn't choose the same option as she did. Then she went to McDonalds (she thanked god for being kicked out of the station to the right side of it) and spent there few lovely hours tightly sitting with all kind of fauna - I guess at that time of night there was all kinds of it. After midnight she drank 3 cups of coffee, but was afraid to go to the loo - fearing to lose her seat. At 3AM she was kicked out of McDonalds as well. Since then she was waiting near terravision bus stop. As it turns out TerraCafe opens only at 4 AM. When I met her she was smoking cigarette after cigarette though on other occasions rarely did this. She was scared and more than she should be, but after waiting for 5 hours I guess a mind starts playing tricks with you.
First shock when I learned about -12 degrees in Vilnius - returning from paradise with more than +12 to a frozen hell. Priority queue in Rome Ciampino airport means you get to wait for plane outside early in the morning - it seemed more like a punishment than a privilege. It was less cold in the airplane - but still could feel the chills. But compared to how air flight attendants felt with their high heel shoes knowing they will have to walk on the ice.
And for the final attraction - I had to scrub the ice of my car, that just had to be celebrated with a cup of hot cocoa from favorite gasoline brand station.
Before leaving for Rome I turned all the appliances and heat pump off - third cup of tea and a second pair of socks are my best friends now.
P.S. and internet connection speed is way better there than in Rome.

No comments: