2014-12-24

Oranges of Rome (part 5)

Regarding that breakfast ... it never arrived to my room. I descended to hotel reception and was informed "I don't know if anybody has told you, but we need you to move into the other room". That was the turning point - I informed them that I want my breakfast always at 8, not way too later or never(like today). I agreed to switching rooms (though it still was a single person room) hoping it will be better in some ways. Actually it was - had a mirror in a bathroom and a shower curtain. Though it was almost of the same size, the bed was twice as smaller (I can live with that). It had some serious disadvantages - none of the 2 power sockets could fit in my notebook power adapter. But I didn't know about all the upgrades until I came back from the city - so, when I left for it, I was feeling a little bit down.
My goal of the day was to find the garden of oranges. And it is a perfect time of the year - oranges are still on trees, but almost ripe and the air around them smells pleasantly. But about this experience later...
Armed with a banana, Milka chocolate chip cookies box, 2 duplo bars and a bottle of water I headed out to meet another adventure. It turned out to be a church work.
San Giovani in Lateranus was my first stop, though unintentionally. Saint Peter's Basilica was impressive, but this church was not worse. Especially I liked the little monastery garden inside with decorations not similar to anything. 2 metro stops and I exited at Vitorio Emanuele station and walked straight to the Santa Maria Magiore - dark and gloomy, at least from facade side - my first impression on this church. It was dark inside too. Beautiful, but not as beautiful as in San Giovani in Lateranus. Enough of localities.
My goal was on Aventine hill and it was a long road ahead. A little bit lost in the streets up on a hill I finally arrived to the Parco Savellio also known as the garden of oranges. Legend says it started from one tree many years ago. It has one of nicest views to the panorama of the Rome and is not so overcrowded as other panorama places (or might be it depends on the time of the year and weather). After taking few pictures, sharing a cookie with pigeons and resting a bit, I continued to my next goal which was not that faraway - keyhole view to Saint Peter's Basilica. I was lucky it was not crowded, I could image it being a very favorite attraction for tourists. It's hard to take a picture of the view, so the best one you can take - is in your memory.
It was time to descend the hill - la boca della verita - the mouth of truth - after seeing a way too long line at it, I changed my mind of risking my hand bitten off and just rested in front of fountain of Tritoni.
It was time to go meet my new room and prepare something for Christmas Eve supper - as it turned out sardinis(very close to lithuanian herring dishes) with white bread are just fine, and of course a bag of clementines - a national dish for Christmas in Lithuania.

No comments: