2014-12-21

Rome Day 0.5 (Roaming in Rome part 1)

In some cities - buildings and architectural style make you feel very small and unimportant. In Rome - even trees make you feel so. I'm not sure how they are called, but they look like pines, but a little bit different than those in Lithuania. They remind me of gigantic bonsai trees with their form, but only you are the bonsai human.
First impressions - even the trash has the right to be on the street. Most of the places really need to take part in "Darom" initiative (for those that don't know what it is - a day in a year when everybody caring about nature and environment goes out and cleans some places up). On the other hand, it makes you feel in a less perfect place (it's not so bad when you're feeling tiny and unimportant...).
After setting the first step of the plane I have been having this weird feeling - apparently my last meal was before 7 am and now it was 2 pm. And yet I had to wait for a bus and then go to Termini station. First thing I did at Termini looked for cafe, it wasn't hard to find. Ordered tea and a sandwich, but got a different one - ended up eating only mozzarella and tomatoes, bread was too hard for my teeth. Twenty minutes on foot and I arrived to my hotel. Girl at the desk didn't speak English at all, but kindly gave me key and showed my room at the fourth floor. Well, room is the kind of you'll try to spend less time in it - very small, dark, only one power socket, no shower curtain or door (but it seems like it used to be there) and no mirror in the bathroom(though I found one in the wardrobe). There is still a TV and I will have my breakfast delivered to the room. Other girl came after 10 minutes and had more English words in her luggage - was very kind and friendly, even explained what to see in Rome, even I didn't asked it.
Then I bought some water, chocolate and did some random walking to the Colosseum(which of course was already not working) and with the flow of the crowd towards Trevi fountain(which apparently is under construction now). I was still hungry - found a pizza place and bought a piece with potatoes. Potatoes were delicious - the base layer just a little bit better than the bread in the Termini cafe, because it was softer. Now I had energy to walk to Santa Maria in Trastevere and watch a fire show performed with Prodigy's "I'm a fire starter". After that I decided it was time head to hotel - feet were already reminding of themselves and it was too dark to wonder around in an unknown city. But still I never felt unsafe. Easier said than done - when you look at the map, it doesn't seem that faraway, but there are some shortcuts you can't take - they are with walls and locks and also very dark places.
After just walking in very unexpected places I was getting closer to my goal - hotel. On my way I bought some clementines for  supper with some leaves, I hope they were grown there. I saw some lemon trees with lots of fruits on it - if you got a garden in Rome, your garden ain't garden if it doesn't have lemon tree. Joking of course, clementine trees work just fine.
And did I mention that it's pleasantly warm there?

No comments: