2014-12-25

A promise of a rain has come true (roaming in Rome part 6)

I guess showing dissatisfaction matters - I got my breakfast delivered prior 8 with a warm "Merry Christmas" in an italian guy's smile. Looking forward for tomorrow - the hotel has the last chance to make it right or to fail.
It's Christmas and as it is usual in Italy - almost everything is closed. Usually are open only those that are not christians or believe in a quick buck more than in a God(my personal observation). That's why the city is still full with "selfie selfie" or fake brand bags sellers. Especially at the vicinity of Vatican when crowds are coming back from the mass. It's  just not cool experience to be surrounded by 3 such guys with no way out.
As I was informed in advance about everything being closed, I decided to stay outdoors - visit few parks - Gianicolo hill and Villa Borghese.
Ascending little by little the first one - you are rewarded with the views and panoramas of Rome that are better and better after each other. And you don't have to fight with other tourists for a place to take a picture. And not only this place, the whole city is a lot calmer on Christmas day - it even feels safe to cross the street. And today has been rewarded with fewer clouds and some decent sunny spots in the sky.
Exploring the little streets and banks of Tevere I walked in the direction of Villa Borghese. I was once near it, but didn't take time to explore it - so, it was a return of my promise. But before that I was starting feeling hungry - and finding a place to eat seemed liked a problem today - my determination was to stay away from places with "special tourist menu", other were just closed. But somehow near the piazza del Popolo in a narrow street I found a bread, ham and cheese place, which also made sandwiches in front of your eyes and weighted everything on the scale. I ended up with a huge sandwich of flat bread, parma ham and real mozzarella - ate it sitting at the bench of piazza del popollo and watching gipsy guys scamming other tourists with roses. And yes, it starts to affect you how you feel about this city - it's beautiful, it's old, full of history, but also full of trash, and people trying to make a big buck out of every tourist. Selling selfie-pods is now on the wave, I wonder what is the next their top-selling item? Of course, they will have a demand for these still for a long time - at least until mobile phones won't have a levitation feature and a remote control by default. And all these things makes it harder to believe in open-heartiness and warmth of italians. You have constantly to question yourself - are they being honest or am I a victim of another scam.
So, my next stop was Villa Borghese - not far away, all I had to do is just ascend the hill and once more enjoy the panorama of Rome - but there, differently than in Gianicollo - all the good view spots were already taken. Having the pictures recorded to my mind, I turned to the woods - the old park with tall trees, little fountains, ponds and other beautifully designed lanscapes. It's hard to express the experience there, you just have to walk yourself and feel it. For as long as you wish. I didn't take all the paths and feeling the coming clouds of rain, decided to walk towards center via Via Venetto - a famous district from La Dolce Vita. Here I felt the first drops of so long ago promissed rain - it wasn't even worth to look for umbrella. Heading forward some streets started to feel familiar - I need a lot less looking at my map. Though probably I still looked like a tourist with my camera bag. I remembered that somewhere in vicinity there is a church I skipped yesterday because it was closed and was not to open for another half an hour - San Pietro in Vincolli - not as huge as others, but gives an impression of being light and clear with amazing frescas on its ceilings.
Few promissed drops of rain were turning into darker clouds - my inner feeling told me to get home - and I was right, though I couldn't dodge few drops either.
Tomorrow will be the last day in Rome - it's hard to think of something you haven't seen but want to when you have seen almost everything.

No comments: