2015-07-11

How to make the rain go away

And when I thought that Acacia Alley turned into umbrella alley, the voice in the microphone said: "the rain is switched off". And it was. At least for a while. The park of bent pines(yes, leaning a bit to the side, the phenomenon you happen to see at the seashore) quickly began to fill with foldaway chairs and blankets, and yes, people, picnicking and waiting for the concert to start. Acacia Alley is an annual festival of author songs and singing poetry taking place 15th time already. A small festival that grew into a big one day event offering a wide line up of famous Lithuanian bards and singers, attracting more than 10 thousand listeners (and the main reason for this is, because it's free). It's taking place in a small nice town of Kulautuva, 20 kilometres away from Kaunas.
A concert was a little bit late and started with young singers' performances. Singing few songs each of them warmed up the listeners for more famous artists. Vladas Bagdonas summoned more clouds and it rained cats and dogs. I wasn't very happy with his performance, as I forgot my umbrella at home and had to survive the Great Flood with the camping mat and linden tree over my head. Then followed the Song Theater revived by Vidas Bareikis. The original Song Theater was created by Vytautas Kernagis. As it was all famous old music the rain didn't matter anymore. For me too, because I grew up listening to his vinyls. And the fact that I was already soaked up in rain, a little bit more didn't make any difference. I was armed with green tea thermos and "kinder Bueno" chocolate. not that I was fighting rain, more like I was cowardly hiding under the tree and camping mat.

Umbrellas everywhere... only I don't have one.
Then it was a turn for a red haired owner of unique voice - Alina Orlova. Pine trees are really good for acoustics, apparently. This performance sounded a lot better than the one in June in Kaunas old town. Her red hair switched the rain off, or just switched the sun on - it seemed like it was not raining, but some drops still dripping from the trees.


As the performers kept changing, the rain switch was turning on and off again. Maybe it's their songs that made the rain angry, maybe they were singing not enough about the rain, maybe too little, maybe not in the way that rain wanted them to hear.
Or was it me carrying that cloud curse? You see, I went for a run this morning, and the rain caught me up. Though it was a great motivator to run faster, as soon as I came back home, it stopped. How does one gets rid of that curse? And I'm really glad, I didn't go there with a bike.

No comments: