2015-07-25

Bike trip - day 2

I almost forgot that today that today is  Saturday - all alarm clock's on my phone were switched off. I overslept. Well getting up at a quarter to 9 on normal weekend mode wouldn't be considered as oversleeping. But I wanted to get up and start on the road early.
Half of the night I felt something wet or cold at the end of the sleeping bag. I didn't hear it raining, so, it felt a little bit strange. It turned out to be a dew from trees, as I parked my tent under them. But mostly I was disapointed with a quality the tent - what if a heavy rain stumbled upon me, would I have drowned in my tent? At least it didn't weigh too much, so, if the weather stays that sunny and warm, I should survive.
Morning packing, breakfast, small talk with fellow travellers, refilling water supplies - and I was on the road a little bit after 10 (sense a pattern there?). Same old road, same old mates to share it with, that is cars and trucks. I didn't meet any tractor or horse on the road.
First few kilometers and I'm in Skirsnemunė. I've heard it had a beautfiul neo-gothic church of St. George (as it turned out, it has a website as well!). I wasn't too much tired yet, so, I decided to take a look at it. And it didn't seem very up the hill. Riding through the small town of Skirsnemunė, I counted one school, two churches and two graveyards. It still turned out that the church of St. George stand on a small hill - I lost my courage to ride that hill, so, I walked my bike there.


After few kilometers behind Skirsnemunė I saw a sign of bike road towards Jurbarkas. That was the best bike road so far in this trip. A river on the left, I could have swimmed in it, if I wanted, I forest on the right. The quality of road - excellent, and it stayed that way right up to Jurbarkas. There I had my lunch of crepe wtih curd and bananas and vanilla milkshake - all prepared freshly in a food truck just in front of coach station while sitting on a bean bag. To get out of Jurbarkas wasn't hard, I drove many times through there with a car. At the end I found a bike lane, which to my disapointment stopped with a town sign. You just can't get out of town with a bike!
At the bus stop of crossroad which takes me to my hometown - another break: some excercises. From there I could keep a better speed, Even with rests at the bus stops and eating some wild berries! I noticed that I wasn't getting tired that much by treading more intensivelly, as I was getting tired from sitting on bike, so, if I could ride faster, my back could suffer less and would have more time to rerst. Once a saw a sign saying that it's only 12km left to Tauragė, I was like on the wings of wind, sometimes reaching 33km/h speed, and keeping it always above 20 km/h. I was highly motivated to reach it as soon as possible - I knew of royal conditions camping site there - my parents house: with bubble bath, home food, real bed and my niece. I was there by 3 o'clock completing 58 kilometers of todays route.

No comments: