2015-07-28

Pushing my limits with Lithuanian Summer - or Bike trip Day 3rd

I made a progress by getting up earlier, but no progress on getting out on the road is seen. Leaving home is always difficult, whether it's your own or your parents home. But today the time was wasted effectively: by eating pancakes with raspberry jam and doing technical service on my bike. I got my tires properly inflated, the seat was raised to the correct position, and all my baggage re-arranged, so, it would be easier for me to keep balance. Can you believe it, I had everything set up wrongly until today? And all this time wasted there really paid off  - I was riding more effectively, although I set out at 11 am only.
There is a nice bike lane from Tauragė towards Mikytai (and Russian Border), that lasts about 10 kilometers, but the landscape is awful: all ups and downs, like in a roller-coaster, but if you ride a bike there, there is no fun in that! Especially with the wind blowing in front of you and 5 percent steepness hills. No wonder, there are so many wind power plants there.
At the beginning of the road, I got few drops of the rain, but I outran them. 28 kilometers to Mikytai was like constantly fighting either the wind or the hills.
But once I turned to Pagėgiai, the situation got a lot better. There were a lot more woods, the wind was blowing from the side, and there were no more hills. But as some things improved, some got worse. Remember that cloud, I thought I ran away from? Well, it caught me up(or its brother). And really badly. 8 kilometers before I reached Šilutė, I had to hide under the tree. I had only one rain coat, so, I chose to rescue my sleeping bag and tent instead of myself (now you probably laugh from my decision to leave my waterproof clothes at home).
Šilutė was my initial goal for today, but this town is not as close to the water, as I wanted it to be (it's not the rain I'm talking about!), and I didn't knew of any good camping sites there. And although my back was aching, I decided to go further: maybe to Mingė, or Kintai. That's roughly 16 additional kilometers in pouring rain. But by that time I got another yellow rain coat while in Šilutė, so, it was not so bad. And eventually the rain stopped, only the wind got worse (because I was riding next to Nemunas delta all the time).
As I kept approaching my undecided resting place, I kept thinking, that I should go to Ventės Ragas, I was sure there was a camping site there, and because the rain has stopped, it was really easy to convince myself in doing that:)

view from my tent


Here I am sitting in my tent 100 meters away from the Curonian Lagoon with a view to a beautiful sunset. After eating at expensive restaurant (hey, today I deserve it!) and visiting the bird ringing station, and lighthouse, ant the mall, I feel proud of myself - because of those 99 kilometers I made today.

No comments: