2015-07-25

Bike trip to the sea - day 1

Me and my bike are doing fine. So far.
I'll start from yesterday. A week ago while sleeping for two nights in a tent, I got an idea that I could spend  my holiday by going somewhere with a bike. My vacation time was only 7 days, so, not very far I could go within that time. With limited options I turned my eyes to the west of the Lithuania. Why not to go there? Yes, I can go there with a car in 3 hours most. But that's not very interesting, and not challenging at all. A little bit inspired by my couchsurfing guests, that travel around the world or around the Baltic Sea by hitch-hiking or by bike, I wanted to do a little odyssey of my own. After last weekend I knew I could sleep in a tent, survive without shower for two days in a row. What if it was more? Or what if it was challenging in other ways? Shared my initial thoughts with the friends  I spent my last weekend, I was encouraged to do this. It seemed doable, at least until I didn't dig into details of this vacation. First I was planning it in my head, then some serious planning had to be done - pimping the bike to survive the amount of kilometers it never has done in it's life!
On a day I had to leave - Friday (that is yesterday), I thought I had everything planned and packed. Guess what, the journey started by getting rid of some stuff. The bike with all the things I thought I needed was standing. But once I tried to ride it, it started to wobble dangerously to the sides. At that point I decided I didn't need a tripod for my camera. I could take pictures without it, and it weighed more than my tent! The bike was still wobbling... With an aching heart I took off my camera bag - I could still take pictures with my phone! That way many more things stayed at home - tourist mat(it was warm outside1!) and waterproof clothing set (I was hoping for no rain and knocking the tree at the same time), a thermos with hot water. The back of the bike was still heavy, still wobbling, but it  was definitelly more stable.
I wanted to leave as early as possible, but my unconsciousness, knowing for the uncertainty that was awaiting, always found something to postpone that moment. So, I left my home a little bit after 10 o'clock. I met my neighbour on my way, he just shaked his head and wished me good luck.
First obstacle - to descend a steep hill that was next to my home. It was not only steep, the road was turning very sharply. I always walked my bicycle down the hill, I never rode it. I didn't dear to do that with a heay bike back this time too.
To get out of Kaunas was not hard. There is a bicycle route that starts 1 kilometer from my house. In theory it should have taken me straight me to Kulautuva. But in reality, I lost some part of it, so, I just followed the normal route I would have taken if I went by car. But only staying the most right side of the road.
The bike trembles from the passing by trucks, I just hold on to my steering wheel more tightly. The first challenge - Raudondvaris. I do not even try to ride that  hill up. I walk my bike with dignity up the hill. I meet few locals with bottles of beer, but it's not even 12 o'clock!
Lot's of trucks! Those who are passing me in my direction, just tremble my bike. Those which are coming from opposite direction, they give me an extra wind gust, that I can barely tread the bike.
At the gas station just before Vilkija. I find a chai latte drink. What a sweet reward! I drink it devouringly and again on the road. And right there is another descend from the hill. It's steep, it's curving, but not so badly. I keep my hands on the break handles all the time. And the view is stunning, too bad I have to keep my eyes on the road. And I reach Vilkija - there I eat my lunch watching the ferry in action. The park there is really nice, but small.
After leaving Vilkija, I find a bike lane, but it doesn't last for two long - I have to get back on the road and pretend I have the same rights as cars and trucks. And it works, they outstrip me by riding in the opposite traffic lane, though I try to stay to the right side as close as possible. At least there are a lot less trucks. And it would be quite a good road: beautyfull green landscape, good quality of asphalt, but the front wind is very stark. I barely can keep 10 kilometers per hour. I stop at bus stops, do excercises there(my back hurts really badly), I wish I could put my legs on the steering wheel, but how to tread then?
There aren't a lot of gas stations on this route. I enjoy every one I find. At Seredžius I find a new one and express my joy I eat a burger and drink a cup of cocoa. Drinking a cup of cocoa was a mistake, it's so hot outside, it's even hotter inside gas station. But I do like cocoa, and it gives me an extra buff of power to tread.
Here I start to notice one thing I haven't thought about - sun burn. Summers in Lithuania aren't usually of the kind that will make you worry about that thing if you are not lying on a beach. I didn't think that riding a bike is like lying on a beach. Well, only certain parts of your body are exposed to sun. In my case, my both hands and left leg.
10 kilometers to Raudonė. I start to see interesting objects on the right side, but all of them are on a steep hills. No thanks, I'll do my cultural trip next time. But now only short stops give me some strength. I see few bike roads on the way, but they are very short and usually not as smooth as the road, I try to stay away from them.
About 6 o'clock I reach Panemunė castle. The goal of the trip is not far way, I decide to look at the castle, at least to ride by it. Of course to get back the same way I went to the castle wouldn't be cool, so, I keep on riding through the village called Pilis (in English it means Castle, very original, I should say). After the village I almost took the wrong direction, but my sixth sense suggested me, I should turn back. And the end of the 6% slope I see a reference to my camping site. After paying 6 euros, I get a place for my tent, toilet, hot water shower and a socket to charge my phone.After a short fight with a chinese tent, I get my shower, I eat my dinner - I can say I have settled down with dignity. And I don't need anything more after such a long day - 77.5 kilometers with an average speed of 12 kilometers per hour (very slow:( ). Yesterday's distance was the longest of all the planned ones. It was hardest in a sense, that I didn't know what was waiting for me ahead. But when you know what is waiting for you, it doesn't  always get easier.

No comments: