2015-12-30

Roadtrip: Svolvær - Å - Svolvær

In the end I did get some sleep after listening to a conversation of the crazy classical music lovers. One hour.  Then I stepped out into a cold dark night of Bodø, which seemed more livelier than 6pm that same evening. I had to walk to airport. First it was fun - love to of lights on the streets, even pavements were glittering from ice. But then at some point they ran out of light poles or later they bulbs, and I had to walk in total dark only using my smartphone as a light source.
Probably I was the first one to arrive at the airport - there was not a single soul there. But I could go in, and it was warm there, and they had wifi.
Me and another Norwegian lady were the only passengers at that time. But we still had to listen to security instructions. In both languages! The plane was small and we were forced to sit in the back. So, we talked. She asked me where I'm going, what I will be doing. After hearing my unplanned trip story she said, that aLost everything is closed in Lofoten on these days and that I will have trouble going from airport to Svolvaer. I didn't have any concrete plan, but just an idea that I could rent a car and drive around. Well, she pointed out the cheapest company I could use for service. But there was still a problem. I haven't booked a car in advance and it was 5.30 in the morning. So, I had to wait until 7am. So, I sitted and browsed Internet and smiled to airport employees. Svolvær airport is not big, so, there isn't many employees.
Then about 8 o'clock I was sitting in a white Hiunday with a mileage of 10000 kilometers and figuring how the stuff works. After it was light enough(or not too dark), I set out by the route E10 making little detours I knew of. It was dawn(sort of, because I didn't see the actual sun), and it was magnificent. Add all this colorful beauty to breath-taking landscapes of Lofoten Islands and you get the address for paradise. Yes, it exists. Yes it is accessible to living people. No, it's not on some tropical island. It's up in the north and it's called the Lofoten Islands. After each magnificent landscape opening before my eyes, I knew why everyone acted surprised finding out that I was going there for one day. It's not exactly true. I'm going there back next year in the summer.


I was driving and stopping to take pictures( there is one of smartphonish quality). And the dusk I arrived to a village with magical name Å, walked around a bit, found everything closed. The village was engulfed by peacefulness. And then drove back as the darkness was approaching me. It was somewhen around 2:30pm. Describing the beauty I found on the road requires a separate post, so, I will write it someday with semi-decent pictures I took.

Now I'm sitting in the airport and sort of everyone knows me: greeting a wishing happy new year. Kind of cool.

No comments: