2015-09-20

A walk not in the park

It should have been an easy walk of 40 kilometers. But only easy ones were first 10. By every ten more I was reaching certain psychological and physiological points of my body - wanting to talk to anybody, not wanting to talk to anybody, wanting to sing out loud. You can train your body to walk more, but psychologically it's hard every time. Once I walked for four days 40 kilometers every day and actually I forgot how hard it was.
Not getting into details why I agreed to do this hike, I was woken up by my alarm clock at 6am. Not too much of packing was needed, but I had to have breakfast to fill me with enough energy for the most part of the day. At 7am I left home to gather my ride mates to Alytus. These hikes in Lithuania mostly are organised by battalions and the starting points are at military bases. Therefore you get to listen to army orchestra, watch some army vehicles, taste soldier's porridge (at the end of the day, though), and can walk into areas where you are not usually allowed to. And you get to walk areas you usually won't be going to by yourself. And then you discover local landscapes, structures. Yesterday's discoveries are:

 A mound of Alytus



A light at the end of the tunnel
Entrance to tunnel

























A very dark tunnel somewhere in the woods - it is somewhat 60 meters long, it was built in 1887 for a river(Motertis), which was endangering a railway. And it appears to be a geocaching spot! Passing it was really cool experience - you can see it's entrance and exit, but at some point you still feel in total dark and have to turn on your flashlight - there is a tiny river flowing there, so, it's wet, and there are 10 steps you need to mind.


Coca cola factory in the suburbs of Alytus, clouds of tiny annoying flies.

It's been a while I walked into such a small village shop. You could buy there all the things that one might need: batteries, jar lids, buttons for clothes and various kinds of beers. Besides the variety of the beer, I felt like stepping through time machine portal.













Luckily, I could step out of it too. A lot easier than walking those 40 (actually 42) kilometers. But besides the all kinds of pains in all kinds of parts of my body, it was an interesting journey.





No comments: