2016-01-13

Remembering January the 13th

On the 13th of January 25 years ago I do not remember much. I remember that my parents weren't sleeping all night and watching tv broadcast from the secret tv station. I didn't understand much, only that terrible things were happening and it had something to do with our freedom. But I was still terrified, I didn't know if I go to sleep that night, I will wake up in the morning. And that was only from perspective of a child.
In reality people were defending the parliament and press house with their bodies, because life was the only thing they had and were willing to sacrifice to defend the freedom of whole country. A right to speak, to think, to move freely, to know the truth. Lithuania re-declared it's independence on the 11th of March in 1990, but on the 13th of January in 1991 it showed how much it was willing to pay for the freedom. It was a resolution of many more people to stand as one against guns and a price of 14 innocent lives stopping tanks with their bare hands.
It's true I don't remember much from that night. But I know that every freedom that I have now is because of that night.

No comments: